• China rejected the verdict of an international tribunal regarding the territorial disputes between China and the Philippines
• China called the decision “null and void” and has no binding force
• Chinese President Xi Jinping said China will not accept any claim or action based on the arbitral tribunal’s ruling
China firmly rejected the verdict of an international tribunal on the arbitration request of the Philippines regarding the territorial disputes in the South China Sea between China and the Philippines; declaring it null and void and has no binding force.
On Tuesday, July 12, the Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague released its verdict favoring the Philippines; saying “there was no legal basis for China to claim historic rights to resources within the sea areas falling within the ‘nine-dash line.’”
The Global Times noted that Chinese President Xi Jinping said China will not accept any claim or action based on the arbitral tribunal’s ruling. He then reiterated his country’s stance that the South China Sea has been their territory since “ancient times” and that their territorial sovereignty and interests in the region would not be influenced by the decision.
“China’s territorial sovereignty and maritime interests in the South China Sea, under any circumstances, will not be affected by the award,” Xi said on Tuesday afternoon.
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi called the arbitration a farce; declaring “This farce is now over.” He also repeated China’s stance that the Philippines’ request for arbitration without China’s consent had been in “bad faith” and in violation of international law.
Meanwhile, Philippines Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay called the verdict a “milestone decision” and said the country would pursue a peaceful resolution of its territorial disputes with China.
“The Philippines strongly affirms its respect for this milestone decision as an important contribution to ongoing efforts in addressing disputes in the South China Sea. The Philippines strongly affirms its respect for this milestone decision as an important contribution to ongoing efforts in addressing disputes in the South China Sea (West Philippine Sea). The decision upholds international law, particularly the 1982 UNCLOS. The Philippines reiterates its abiding commitment to efforts to pursue the peaceful resolution and management of disputes with a view to promoting and enhancing peace and stability in the region,” Sec. Yasay said in a statement.