• Francesta Asan, 2 years old, was taken to North Hampshire Hospital in Basingstoke by her panicking parents
  • The toddler was immediately attended to by doctors, however, the “very sick” child died just a few hours after the medics started assessing
  • After pushing through with extensive test even after the toddler’s death, the doctors found a little battery inside the kid’s body

BASINGSTOKE, England – An investigation is being conducted after a toddler eventually died because of a swallowed battery.

Karen Rockett mentioned in her article for Mirror Co UK that two-year-old Francesta Asan was taken to the North Hampshire Hospital in Basingstoke by her panicking parents.

The toddler was immediately attended to by doctors. However, the “very sick” child died just within a few hours after the medics started assessing. The kid died without the medics knowing what was actually wrong with her.

After pushing through with extensive test after the toddler’s death, the doctors found a little battery inside the little girl’s body. However, the parents are clueless as to when Francesta swallowed the battery and how long it has been inside her body.

“This is being treated as a non-suspicious death,” Hampshire Police said.

An article by Daily Echo said that during an inquest at Basingstoke, Hants last Friday, investigators said Francesta died from acute gastro hemorrhage as a result of a foreign body (the battery) in her esophagus eroding into a right artery.

The hearing was adjourned until 23 August to gather more details about the toddler’s death.

According to eMedicine Health, batteries contain heavy metals such as zinc, mercury, silver, nickel, cadmium, and lithium. Batteries also contain concentrated solutions of caustic electrolytes, usually potassium or sodium hydroxide.

Any person who has swallowed a battery may have one or more symptoms including vomiting, gagging, low-grade fever, irritability, persistent drooling, difficulty of breathing if the battery blocked the airway, rash from metal allergy and dark or bloody stools.