• Senator Trillanes denied being part of coup and slay plots against Duterte
  • The senator said Duterte can only be removed through impeachment
  • CPP Founder Joma Sison earlier said that the Trillanes gang has declared war on Duterte

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV denied being part of a group allegedly planning to stage a coup d’etat and assassinate incoming president Rodrigo Duterte.

Inquirer noted in an article dated May 21, 2016 that the senator denied being part of the group planning to overthrow Duterte once he assumed the presidency.

“Let me categorically state that I am not part of or even planning any coup d’etat,” Trillanes said in a text message.

The senator said Duterte can only be removed from office through impeachment.

“Presumptive President-elect Duterte was duly elected by the people and the proper way of removing him from office, in case he violates the Constitution, is through impeachment,” Trillanes said.

“However, in the unlikely scenario that there would be a coup by disgruntled members of the AFP or PNP in the future, it would only be because they couldn’t stand the sight of Joma Sison and his communist buddies being part of a coalition government after remorselessly killing tens of thousands of soldiers, policemen and innocent civilians in pursuit of their universally discredited ideology,” he added.

Trillanes issued the denial following the statement of Jose Maria “Joma” Sison, founder of the Communist Party of the Philippines, that he is supporting a group’s coup and assassination plots against the presumptive president.

In an online interview, Joma warned: “The Trillanes gang has declared war on Duterte. Upon assumption of office as President and Commander in Chief, [Duterte] has to deliver decisive blows on this tiny gang.”

Earlier this month, an almost 14-minute video posted on YouTube by a group of alleged disgruntled officers from the Armed Forces of the Philippines belonging to a group called “Network of Officers to Defend the Republic” has aired an urgent call “to defend democracy and the republic against the communist-puppet Duterte and the CPP-NPA dictatorship.”

According to the May 20, 2016 Inquirer article written by Delfin T. Mallari Jr, Senator Trillanes, a former Navy officer, confirmed the video was produced by the military officers who did not approve of Duterte’s alliance with communists rebels.